[sf-lug] distro for an ageing laptop

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Sat Mar 25 07:49:48 PDT 2017

On 2017-03-24 20:11, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Alex Kleider (akleider at sonic.net):
>
>> I've got an old IBM t41. The current version of Ubuntu no longer
>> runs on it.
>
> Because of what?  Amount of RAM?  It would be useful if you could state
> how much RAM the machine has.

I could only find one memory slot and the memory card in it has two
sides each with eight square components.  There is a label on each side.
  The two labels are not identical but both indicate 1GB.  It's a bit
ambiguous in that one might interpret it as indicating that there are
1GB on each side for a total of two although it seems to me more likely
that I have 1 GB.
So I think the answer is 1GB

Currently there's no OS on it so I can't use /proc/meminfo.