[sf-lug] Notes from the SF-LUG meeting of Monday February 20th 2017

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Feb 21 14:34:20 PST 2017

Hi LUGers,

     Well I had a very bad cold and would have stayed away
but then Daniel G. offered me a ride on account of the rain.

     What could I do but accept wearing an anti-virus
mask and vinyl gloves to avoid contaminating the inside
of his car?

     He dropped me off about 5:20 PM and I started setting
up.   We got the big table where there was room for all
the people who showed up.
     Tom showed up next to try out new distros on his
older Latitude.
     Maestro and Daniel G. then came in to discuss
some partitioning problems. M can boot to Mint but
could not find that partition on his hard disk.
     Mikki came in next and she asked for advice about
a new computer as the very small screen of the Asus
she has been using is problematical.
     She was supposed to get a copy of the latest Ubuntu
LTS from me but somehow in my Common Cold stupefied
mind I failed to bring along the disks I had written.
     I had some problems with my Dell Latitude and
it could not recognize my external hard disk.  I finally
used an USB Flash drive with an installed PCLOS to
boot up the computer and got the external drive mounted.

     Problems solved huh!
     No way.  I had apparently failed to copy the newest
Ubuntu LTS 16.04.2 to the external drive.  So I made
a copy of 16.04.1 as a stopgap for Mikki finally.

     Mikki left early about 7:15 PM and I got confused about
the time actually thought it was an hour later than it was
7:45 I left and caught a #38 bus home to my neighborhood.

     I left Tom, Daniel G. and Maestro working on the
computers and I hope they will tell us if anything interesting
happened or if I misinterpreted anything that happened.

      Now I said at the meeting when that when I got up today I would
start cleaning out everything on the Dell and reinstalling but analog
life got in the way as well as the cold in my head
and chest.   So I may start this evening after I get some more
rest.

     The next meeting at the Cafe Enchante will be on Sunday March 5,
2017 from 11 AM to 1 PM.

     Hope I will be up to it...

     Bobbie Sellers aka bliss "running fast and light" on
PCLinuxOS64-2016.03 GNU&Linux 4.9.10-pclos1