[sf-lug] Acer V Nitro series (was: Considering purchasing a lightweight laptop: thoughts Thinkpad X1 carbon vs. Thinkpad T460S)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 27 02:23:06 PST 2016

Quoting Antonio Malcolm (antonio.malcolm at gmail.com):

> Ah, it wasn't a challenge actually, it was partial agreement...

No worries.  ;->

> ...which is why I mentioned if it's gaming, he's better off just using
> the open source GL drivers on *nix, and he can rely on Nvidia, in
> Windows.

I didn't explicitly research the quality of X.org nouveau driver support
for Nvidia GTX960M graphics chips (partly because querent Jon Lam's
situation seemed to need clarifying, first), but have my doubts based on
other prior experience with recent-production Nvidia GPUs aimed at
gamers.

My best advice is to avoid sources of support headaches, such as Intel
Skylake in 2016 and Nvidia cutting-edge gamer GPUs at any time, absent
really compelling reasons.  We get a small parade of people coming to
CABAL meetings who bought first and thought after, such as the owner of
the laptop Daniel referred to, and I can't help quietly thinking 'Gee,
I'm glad mine doesn't do that.'  ;->