[sf-lug] junkemailfilter.com claimed that linuxmafia.com is a 'virus' site

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 5 16:17:31 PDT 2016

So, Jim's at well.com, that uses outsourced vetting of mail using
external site junkemailfilter.com .  And recently it decided to
start refusing all mail from linuxmafia.com's IP address,
198.144.195.186.

http://ipadmin.junkemailfilter.com/remove.php yields this detail:

  /ip-log/karma.log.03:virus 198.144.195.186 linuxmafia.com NOTQUIT [S=4 -
  FakeMX NoQuit] X=tarbaby2 H=linuxmafia.com [198.144.195.186]
  HELO=[linuxmafia.com] SN=[skeptic-bounces at linuxmafia.com]

...and I'm pretty sure I know where this noise comes from.  Until
recently, I hosted on linuxmafia.com a collection for _study_ of
MS-Windows malware that was current a couple of decades ago, every one
of which had been rendered safe through measures that included giving
them all .txt filename extensions.  Recently a couple of automated
malware-checking sites stumbled on the archive.  I removed the archive
(sorry, no more security study), and have been chasing down the places
that blacklisted my IP.

More at:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2016-September/008583.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2016-September/008584.html