[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting report of Sunday October 2, 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Oct 2 19:26:58 PDT 2016

Hi LUGers,

       Approximately I 10:40AM arrived at the Cafe Enchante.
     John S had preceded me.  He brought several machines
but two to be sold one spoken for by RM,  RM did not show up.
John S had captured 4 tables for the meeting which was
perhaps a bit more than we needed.

     No problems with setup and the Dell was online as soon as I
rebooted from Qubes which seems to be designed only to run
multiple virtual machines and has templates for some popular
distribution but no user tools.  I went back to PCLinux OS 2016.03
on the Dell.  This is running Linux kernel 4.6.6 and seems to
be running a lot better than I can type.

     Ken Shaffer and his wife Suni showed up a few minutes after
11 AM.  It appears that Ken and his wife have traded computers
and that her's was setup with Windows 10.  Ken had lost his Ubuntu
install and spent some time on it.   They left shortly after 12:35 PM

     11:40 AM Aaron came in lugging two large heavy duty shopping
bags.  He brought in a 17 inch LCD monitor and a working Raspberry PI
installed with Rasbian.  It ran a bit slow but beautifully.
     Aaron has upgraded to the 3rd iteration of the Raspberry Pi
which has built-in WiFi.  He is looking to dispose of a couple of older
models of Raspberry Pi at some discount,

     John S showed off his smaller laptops and Aaron bought one
for $40  Aside from no optical drives these were very nice little
machines.  One was a 32 bit single Core Atom running at about
1766 MegaHertz.  The other was a Centrino Mobile,

     12:40 PM Jim Stockford showed up looking wan.  He has his
problems this week but seemed to feel better after he snacked on
some watermelon.  I gave him two of the disks Ron Wellman had
requested but could not remember the other distribution he wanted.
     We were all packing to leave but I was last out of the Cafe
about 1310.  Jim gave me a ride home.
     I found Ron Wellman's original request after a short search
and will have a System Rescue disk for him or Jim to pick up at the
next meeting

     I hope the attending members will correct my inaccuracies
and misunderstanding as soon as may be.

     The next meeting at the Cafe Enchante will be on October 17
from 6 to 8 PM.  I imagine the regular notice will be on the list
around Monday October 10.

     Hope everyone is having a good fall.

     Bobbie Sellers