[sf-lug] question about cp -al

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 19 11:43:40 PDT 2016

Quoting Alex Kleider (akleider at sonic.net):

> This never occurred to me- it wasn't mentioned by
> W. Curtis Preston: Backup & Recovery - O'Reilly
> but your suggestion got me studying man rsync and I think:
>             --link-dest=DIR         hardlink to files in DIR when
> unchanged
> is the option I want.
> Thanks for the idea!

Yr. welcome!  rsync is generally awesome for many copy operations,
especially those that update an existing copy, of course.

'Copying Directory Trees' on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Admin/ may be
useful (though it doesn't mention rsync's --link-dest=DIR option and
many others).

--
Cheers,                       "We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
Rick Moen                     We believe in: rough consensus and running code."