[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday May 1, 2016 (Xenial Xerus on MAY Day)

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon May 2 15:41:29 PDT 2016

On 05/02/2016 03:25 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> One week ago, just before my weekly Norwegian language class, I wrote:
>
>> As this is an international-minded crowd, here is an old Norwegian
>> recipe I recently ran across, apparently originated by a visiting Swede
>> named Harry Nilsson:
>>
>> Ingredienser:
>> en kokosnøtt
>> en lime
>>
>> Veibeskrivelse:
>> Bror kjøpte en kokosnøtt, han kjøpte den for en krone.
>> Hans søster hadde en annen, hun betalte det for en lime.
>> Hun satte lime i kokos, hun drakk dem begge opp.
>> Hun satte lime i kokos, hun drakk dem begge opp.
>> Hun satte lime i kokos, hun drakk dem begge opp.
> [...]
>
> Just checking:  Did anyone / everyone / some get the joke?  I was hoping
> that 'Harry Nilsson' reference was a dead giveaway.
>
> For those who _did_ get it:  You're welcome for the earworm.  ;->
> Believe me, you _can_ sing that song in Norwegian, though the effect is
> really weird (and meter's not quite right).
>
> Given that it was May Day, I probably should have gone for the
> Internationale, but this song seemed funnier.

     Not much with song lyrics but, "Put the lime in the coconut and mix
them all together"?
A lot funnier.

     For May Day the original international Labor Day the tiny fragment
I can recall of the
the Internationale.
     "Arise you children of starvation,
     Arise ye wretched of the Earth,
     As justice thunders condemnation
     The International Party will be the human race."

     But I have mislaid my Little Red songbook so
cannot easily check it without using a search engine.

     The American Labor Day at the end of Summer is a
capitalist invention.
     The Internationale has been banned from performance
in many venues over the years due to fear on the part of
them that has of them that have not.

    The lime in the coconut song has not been banned
anywhere as far as I know.

     bliss.