[sf-lug] WIFI set-up

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 18 06:12:14 PDT 2016

Quoting maestro (maestro415 at gmail.com):

> are you actually stating it is totally impossible for someone to disconnect
> others from a shared (or public) wifi connection (besides the admin{s} )?
> prove it.

Obviously, since you gave us absolutely no information to work with, you
can claim anything you want about what happened, but no plausible
mechanism exists for what you say, whereas wifi flakiness is common and
well understood.

Does the term 'Occam's Razor' ring _any_ bells?  No?

If you're going to go with bad guesses with no plausible mechanism, you
don't need to stop with 'trolls/assholes'.  Sunspots, swamp gas,
chemtrails, use your imagination.

> interesting you don't discuss how YOU configure your system(s).

As I already said:  I just use wifi and I don't trust the network.
Sensitive data go over SSL and SSH.  There's nothing special to configure.

See, when I challenge you to engage with the subject, you counter with
'Well, _teach_ me, then', and utterly ignore what I've already said.

> many don't join a conversation until someone is talking about
> something that engages them.  i will only speak for myself...i'm
> listening...

...but not perceptibly engaging with the basics.  Thus my point.

> >>I'd _love_ to teach that.  It's not even difficult, and results are
> often interesting,
>
> no one's stopping you.

As I said, I'd love to teach that to people who are bothering to learn.

> i disagree.

But then you don't show any attempt to be in control of what your
machine is and isn't doing.

It's nice to bring fresh distributions to meetings and put Tux on the
table.  But one of these years, you-plural might want to also learn a
little about Linux.  And no, I don't mean by sitting around passively
and expecting me to spoon-feed you.