[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Monday March 21, 2016

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 14 14:44:22 PDT 2016

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

>   If the Linux Pro magazine shows up before the meeting I intend
> to have it there.   It is supposed to have a new release of Knoppix
> for the CEBIT show as the iso of the month.  If it shows up late
> I may not have time to make more than a few copies before the
> meeting.

The reason you actually cannot find ISOs of Knoppix's annual special
CeBIT editions for public download (except furtively on BitTorrent) is
that, in my experience, Klaus Knopper always throws in a number of
proprietary extras that are licensed specifically for the _Linux Pro_
bundle, but therefore may not lawfully be further copied.

It's possible that is no longer true, but you should be cautious about
assuming that a disc may be lawfully copied just because you got it
bundled with a Linux magazine.  (There have always been Linux distro
discs that include non-redistributable proprietary software.  The most
common example, back in the day, was the several boxed-set retail
editions of SuSE Linux.)