[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Monday March 21, 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Mar 14 12:19:10 PDT 2016

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every  every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M. at the Cafe Enchante,
26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

   If the Linux Pro magazine shows up before the meeting I intend
to have it there.   It is supposed to have a new release of Knoppix
for the CEBIT show as the iso of the month.  If it shows up late
I may not have time to make more than a few copies before the
meeting.

     I have a distro called Chakra which did not do well on my
notebook but which may be of some interest.

     I am presently downloading the lastest PC Linux OS 2016.03
KDE.  I hope this has more than a late kernel and a good version
of KDE's Plasma.   But I have to wait for the download to finish
before I can check the iso for contents.

     Possibly of interest is that my dual-boot has failed on the
weak side.  To me this means that the (U)EFI system is weaker
than I imagined.  (Weak means the MS program loader side,
obviously.)

     Reading today at Distrowatch I found the note about the
PCLOS 2016.03.  Somewhere else I found notes about Windows 10
machines which do not so easily permit the use of Legacy mode
and which require more complicated manipulation of the
(U)EFI firmware to get Linux installed.

     I am attempting to get more information about this and unless
some more knowledgeable person reports it first I will put it
in a note to the mailing list.  In the meantime you might want
to check the firmware on any new computer you are interested
in buying or else go to a vendor of Linux machines like Dell
or locally Zareason.

     Hope to see you at the meeting.

     Bobbie Sellers