[sf-lug] Suspicious email from LinuxMafia

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Mar 10 16:14:55 PST 2016

On 03/10/2016 12:41 PM, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:

And likely he has my message but I intended it for the mailing
list as well so here it is.

> On Thu, 2016-03-10 at 12:22 -0800, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>>       Well it text only groups satisfy your interest search on
>> eternal-september.news.

>>       If you want binary posting as well I believe you will have to
>> pay.
>>       There are some news servers out there where the cost is a modest
>> fee per year
>> and others where the same amount of money paid every month will get
>> you binary service.

> Eternal September comes highly recommended by many, but it is my
> understanding that it is pay-to-access. I have not investigated this
> myself, because as a Sonic customer, I have access to Sonic's server,
> but it seemingly only carries about five weeks' worth of articles in
> most groups, is reportedly in imminent danger of hardware failure with
> no backup, and is administrated by only one guy. Sonic reportedly also
> has an undocumented "supernews" server with more articles in even more
> dire straits, but I have not used it.

     Eternal September works and is free.  It has problems from time to
time and probably does not keep articles as long as you would like.
Anything I want to keep I copy to a file in one of my archives or another.

     Before I went to news.eternal-september.org I had a payment of about
10 €/year for what used to be news.individual.net at a German
university, but the English language payment service would not recognize
my new credit card.  Yes this was very frustrating.

     The big problem is finding this information which is being hidden by
the many articles about Usenet found via search engine.  I recollected
the name of the news.individual.net after starting this post and in
the meantime found servers that provide higher speed access for
more money,

     I read & post in about 20 newsgroups or a few more but many are not
very active, various web forums having taken their places,

     As compared to e-mail posting transmission can be slow because after
all when Usenet was created 300 baud modems were more common
than not.   If the masses were into Usenet I bet we would have 3 times
as many alt.newsgroups.  As it is when a millennial person comes into
a Usenet newsgroup they usually try to post in .html and whine about
why does it not support the images they want to upload.

      And if you are using a client like Thunderbird having accounts on
multiple servers is easily enabled.

     bliss