[sf-lug] Suspicious email from LinuxMafia

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Mar 10 12:41:56 PST 2016

On Thu, 2016-03-10 at 12:22 -0800, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>      Well it text only groups satisfy your interest search on
> eternal-september.news.
>      If you want binary posting as well I believe you will have to
> pay.
>      There are some news servers out there where the cost is a modest
> fee per year
> and others where the same amount of money paid every month will get
> you
> binary
> service.

Eternal September comes highly recommended by many, but it is my
understanding that it is pay-to-access. I have not investigated this
myself, because as a Sonic customer, I have access to Sonic's server,
but it seemingly only carries about five weeks' worth of articles in
most groups, is reportedly in imminent danger of hardware failure with
no backup, and is administrated by only one guy. Sonic reportedly also
has an undocumented "supernews" server with more articles in even more
dire straits, but I have not used it.