[sf-lug] ANALYSYS--EXPLANATION Re: request for help re ssh -- sshd login failure

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Feb 11 00:55:04 PST 2016

Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):

> Thank you. Wow! I never tho't to refer to the archives (I've got local
> copies of this and several other LUG emails.
>
> As a rule, I hit  <ENTER>  at about 40 or 50 characters. The default
> Thunderbird editor presents longer lines when I'm typing;

Default editors in graphical mail clients tend to be a bit deficient,
which I suppose isn't all that surprising:  The mail client's author set
out to write something to send and receive mail, so it's not hugely
surprising that the parts for doing other tasks end up a bit half-assed.
(This is where it's nice to invoke your own choice of external editor
program.)

Anyway, a reasonable textwidth (e.g., you like 40 or 50 chars) is
certainly a good idea.  You'll notice I actually rewrapped your quoted
text to 72-char textwidth, which is easy in vi.

Even for users not willing to take such steps, I recommend at bare
minimum setting the text editor in one's mail client to use a
monospaced typeface ('font') rather than a proportional one.
Practically all of the really dreadful, ragged-lined text e-mail I see
on the Internet were written by people who had no idea they were
composing such things.

(See .signature block.)

--
Your font is:      Proportional  Monospaced
                                      ^