[sf-lug] done*: SF-LUG & MX records ... @lists.sf-lug.org ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 10 14:30:47 PST 2016

> done*:
> $ dig -t MX lists.sf-lug.org. +short
> 100 linuxmafia.com.
> $ dig -t A lists.sf-lug.org. +short
> 198.144.195.186
> $

This works in the sense that a message sent to rick at lists.sf-lug.org now
reaches me.

I've spend the last couple of hours banging my head up against many
details of Mailman's virtual domain support and Apache's Location
stanzas and special provisions for Mailman CGIs, trying to make
test2 at lists.sf-lug.org work right.  I can provide details if there is
interest.

However, it doesn't fully work -- almost but not quite -- and as I spent
time on this, I stopped and thought:  _Why_ am I surrendering my time
for this, at risk of taking down essential service on my server?  What
problem am I fixing, and why do I care about it?

Anyway, enough of this madness.  This was a hard slog the last time I
did it for _Linux Gazette_, and I did _that_ because I helped run that
magazine.  You guys are not _Linux Gazette_.

I do not care to pursue this matter further.  If Michael Paoli, the only
other person on this mailing list I would trust to change services on my
personal Internet server, wishes to attempt to solve the remaining
Mailman/Apache2 problems for this task that someone-I-don't-know-who
decided to assign me as homework, he had my blessing to do so.
Otherwise, I am done with this.

SF-LUG, please cease attempting to assign me unpaid work, especially
work that involves making modifications to my perfectly
functional-as-it-is Internet server.  Thank you.

(I just removed mailing list test2.)

I'm going to go off and have a Sunday.  Part of one, anyway.