[sf-lug] Have a fine Sunday! :-) (was: Re: done*: SF-LUG & MX records ... @lists.sf-lug.org ...)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 10 15:38:59 PST 2016

Rick,

Thanks for your work on this - do have yourself a fine Sunday!
No reason nor rush for you to be doing unpaid volunteer work related
to SF-LUG when you'd rather not be - and especially when it isn't
even particularly important but would just be a "nice to have
also".  So, ... revisit it if/when, and to the extent you want,
no need to do so sooner.

And if/when you might be interested too, I'd think at least some on this
SF-LUG list, and quite possibly also including myself, might be interested
in some, or even many, of the details of what was attempted, how, what
did/didn't work, and was tried, checked, and seen along the way, etc.

As for myself, @list.sf-lug.org and/or @sf-lug.org - definitely not that
high on my priorities.  If you want to give me login and/or other access
to look at it and/or possibly even adjust, might take me a fair while to
get to it.  E.g. in the LUG realm, I've got things higher on my LUGs
todo tasks, e.g. getting BALUG disentangled, and smoothly as feasible,
from DreamHost.com and their gross repeated incompetence (at least in
more recent years - they'd been pretty much problem free earlier on -
but certainly not more recently).

Daniel Gimpelevich and Jim Stockford (and perhaps some others?) seem
relatively interested in it being done ... but who wouldn't be interested in
someone else doing one's "work" ... and for free! ... but that tends to wear
thin after a while.  Usually at least fair bit more tit for tat - or
reasonable
approximations thereof, and good will, etc., tends to work better -
and especially
over the longer term.

Anyway, @lists.sf-lug.org., etc., may be quite nice and desirable on the
longer term, ... but certainly no where close to any extreme rush.

Also good to make efficient use of the time/resources of volunteers.
E.g. last year when linuxmafia.com was down (and with it the SF-LUG list),
I didn't pick the route that would be most efficient and quick to get the
host and list(s) back up again.  Rather, I picked route which (in addition to
being an fairly interesting technical challenge for me) was probably among
the least consuming of Rick's time/resources ... and thus also more probable
to in *net* effect end up with the site back up some fair bit sooner (at least
when we finally got around to it, and had some time to coordinate, anyway).

Hmmm, very recently - like this PM today, got a
"Your job, should you decide to accept it ...", which I fairly quickly
interrupted
with "And what am I getting paid for this 'job'?".

Yes, ... homework, ... that's mostly for class(es) one's enrolled in
at school.
And, someone *else*'s homework? ... shouldn't be *doing* it for someone
else ... but might assist someone with their homework, if one wishes to,
and it's allowed and appropriate, etc.