[sf-lug] Intel graphics chipsets (was /firmware/radeon)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 22 01:36:18 PST 2015

Quoting maestro (maestro415 at gmail.com):

> quoting rick:
>
> >I really have no idea why so many people think they're done when the
> >distro installer terminates.
>
> indeed...
> however there are those who don't select the 'version they're ACTUALLY
> wanting' especially when looking at mirror lists away from the distro main
> download page and don't pay attention to the SIZE of that file which
> usually indicates how much software(bloat) you will be getting. then they
> install it and wonder where the software is as you state above ^^^

You can always add packages you lack, and remove what you don't want.

> e.g. selecting a debian file less than 700mb will generally leave you to
> install 'stuff' after. it is NOT the LMDE 2-3gb with 'pretty storefront
> windows'.

One of the reasons I specifically disrecommend Debian for those new to
Linux is that, by design, its default installer leaves many decisions in
the administrator's hands.  (There are non-default installers for Debian
that mostly don't, e.g., the one on the aptosid live CD.  However,
aptosid omits oft-desired proprietary packages including proprietary
firmware from the CD image.)

See below.

> one generic method is to go online and search "things to do after
> installing___"  which some great helpers have started posting that has
> utilities, audio/video optimization, russian repos, directory adjustments,
> security tweaks, desktop tweaks, et.al

Honestly, if you're brand-new to Linux, and want an easy ride at first,
you're better off starting with one of the kitchen-sink desktop distros.
To quote http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/kicking.html#distro :

  I personally strongly prefer the Debian distribution, especially for
  servers. However, newcomers should consider starting with Bodhi Linux,
  Linux Mint, Ultimate Edition, MEPIS Linux, or PCLinuxOS, for desktop
  Linux machines (not Debian).

More at the link.

('Russian repos'?  Really?  ;->  )

Certainly couldn't hurt Web-searching 'things to do after installing
[foo]', but for heaven's sake please approach the suggestions of random
strangers with due skepticism.

My assessment of
https://linuxpanda.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/things-to-do-after-installing-debian-8-jessie/:

   GUI to manage network connections :
   We have 2 choices here,
   wicd – If you are going to use only wired & wireless wifi network
   connections.
   network-manager-gnome – If you are going to use VPN or mobile broadband
   in addition to wired & wireless wifi network connections.

Wow, with three major choices to choose among (wicd, NetworkManager, and
wpa_supplicant0, the author cites two of them, picks the worst two, and
claims the other one doesn't exist.

By 'worst', I mean the most badly overengineered, the worst dependency
hairballs.

   Extra screensavers: (Optional)
   If you are a fan of the matrix screensaver like me, then you might want
   to install it.
   sudo apt-get install xscreensaver-gl

Sure, what the heck.

But, by the way, since this is Debian, why is this guy defaulting to
sudo?  There's a root account with the password you gave it during
installation.  This isn't one of those *buntu things.

I mean, if you just love sudo, use sudo.  But you don't have to.

http://www.unixmen.com/first-things-installing-debian-8/

   Now we will create a new user account, and we will use the following
   command, of course you have to change the name of our selected user
   “anis” with your chosen one:

Um, the default installer already prompted for creating a non-privileged
login in addition to root.

   # nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
   Then search for a line that starts by port that we want to change it
   which is the port where SSH runs on.

Security by obscurity (phony security).

   We will just disable the root login through SSH which is more secure,
   this task is recommended for every server.

No, it's not.  There are in many cases compelling reasons for root-user
ssh/scp access, including backup.

http://linoxide.com/how-tos/install-debian-8-0-screenshots-things-to-do-after/
   Top Things To Do After Installing Debian
   Install sudo
   sudo is not installed by default on debian systems the way it is on
   Ubuntu.

Yeah, maybe because it's not a core requirement, and maybe you should
use other criteria other than 'We should do everything the way it's done
in Ubuntu.'

   Install Google Chrome
   Debian 8.0 Jessie comes with Iceweasel web browser which is really fast
   and lightweight but I prefer Google Chrome for a better web browsing
   experience.

Then, why not Google Chromium?  Unlike Chrome, it's open source.

   Install vlc Media Player

Good idea.  Even better ideal is to install _both_ vlc and optional
codecs, libdvdcss, etc.

That should serve as a good sampling.  Just because someone had an
opinion and put it on a Web page doesn't mean it's necessarily a good
idea.

> that being said one 'should' be able to get ALL the utilities and what is
> needed for optimal performance and audio/video/web op.s 'out of the box'
> with distros over a gig. of course just my opinion.

Not really possible, because frequently-desired AV codecs and stuff like
that usually has patent or copyright encumbrances that prevent the
code's lawful inclusion on Linus installation media, absent special
permission (which basically isn't available).

Again, discussed briefly at link.

> if someone really wants to complain about a distro(s) not including
> software(including drivers & firmware) they can always see:
> linux from scratch
> arch linux
> headless debian/centos/gentoo/slackware('flavor' to taste)
> and make their own from there...

I hope it doesn't bother you that the above doesn't really say anything.
;->