[sf-lug] Intel graphics chipsets (was /firmware/radeon)

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 18:06:46 PST 2015

quoting rick:

>I really have no idea why so many people think they're done when the
>distro installer terminates.

indeed...
however there are those who don't select the 'version they're ACTUALLY
wanting' especially when looking at mirror lists away from the distro main
download page and don't pay attention to the SIZE of that file which
usually indicates how much software(bloat) you will be getting. then they
install it and wonder where the software is as you state above ^^^

e.g. selecting a debian file less than 700mb will generally leave you to
install 'stuff' after. it is NOT the LMDE 2-3gb with 'pretty storefront
windows'.

one generic method is to go online and search "things to do after
installing___"  which some great helpers have started posting that has
utilities, audio/video optimization, russian repos, directory adjustments,
security tweaks, desktop tweaks, et.al

that being said one 'should' be able to get ALL the utilities and what is
needed for optimal performance and audio/video/web op.s 'out of the box'
with distros over a gig. of course just my opinion.

if someone really wants to complain about a distro(s) not including
software(including drivers & firmware) they can always see:
linux from scratch
arch linux
headless debian/centos/gentoo/slackware('flavor' to taste)
and make their own from there...

message ends.
______________

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting maestro (maestro415 at gmail.com):
>
> > since i have run into some that didn't know you can install commands
> > thought i'd share.
>
> OK, and thanks -- but also:  {boggle}
>
> A default distro installation almost certainly includes software you don't
> want and omits software you do want.  This is true irrespective of
> Linux distribution, and this fact has been all over the Internet for 23
> years.
>
> I really have no idea why so many people think they're done when the
> distro installer terminates.  That's a little like acting surprised when
> your new automobile stops on the highway, and astonished that you should
> also be mindful of this 'fuel' stuff.

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*