[sf-lug] (save) make / model # tip

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 21 19:17:32 PST 2015

A useful tip, while equipment is new or still in relatively good condition,
and especially for portable devices (e.g. laptop), note and record (or
photocopy or
photograph) the make, model, and serial number information of the
device.  Often with
handling and such - especially for laptops and portable devices, the
labeling applied
by manufacturer can end up quite unreadable on these devices.  So,
good to capture and
not the information and safely record it while it's still readable.  I
know I have many
portable devices where the original labeling is very to highly
unreadable.  But for most
all those devices, I recorded the make/model/serial number information
early on (generally
when I first obtain them - I usually log that data upon obtaining new
hardware, also
including when/where/how obtained (e.g. receipt & vendor/store
information).  And yes,
I make regular backups of that data, including off-site backup copies.

If one doesn't have that data, and it's not readable on the printing
or such on the
device, sometimes there are ways to get the device to reveal that
information - but
not always (depends upon device, software/utilities, and if the device
is still
operational).