[sf-lug] Debian & non-free (was: /firmware/radeon)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 21 08:36:52 PST 2015

> From: maestro <maestro415 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] /firmware/radeon
> Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 21:41:22 -0800

> yup, installed both now, and thank you daniel as well, of course being a
> DUMBASS i hadn't added the non-free to /etc/apt/sources.list after
> 'RE'install as it has to be done 'manually', so the non-free package wasn't
> coming up.

If I recall correctly, Debian will ask if you want to include
non-free, at least if one
picks sufficiently lower-level non-default installation - e.g. one may
have to select
one of the "Advanced" options from the boot menu.  When it asks,
answer in the non-default
affirmative regarding non-free, and it will configure it for you in
/etc/apt/sources.list.

That probably won't automagically get one the non-free firmware - one
will likely have to
answer in the non-default affirmative at least one more time to have
it install that - or
might have to issue a manual command.  The Debian installation
documentation also rather well
covers non-free firmware, as that's a fairly common issue, and can be
an issue quite early
on (e.g. if needed for hard-wired Ethernet port and one is using that
to install from/over).

Also, there is "Debian Live" - if one wants to try that DVD - e.g. see
how it would run,
before installing - and that comes in versions that include non-free -
and I'd guestimate
probably includes the non-free firmware, as that's often a key needed
bit from non-free.

Oh, and if one wants, there's also at least one Debian package which
one can install to remind
one of what non-free software one has installed, and possible
alternatives that may exist.
$ dpkg -l vrms | grep '^ii'
ii  vrms           1.16         all          virtual Richard M. Stallman
$
:-)
$ apt-cache show vrms | less
Description-en: virtual Richard M. Stallman
  The vrms program will analyze the set of currently-installed packages
  on a Debian-based system, and report all of the packages from the
  non-free and contrib trees which are currently installed.
  .
  In some cases, the opinions of Richard M. Stallman and the Debian project
  have diverged since this program was originally written.  In such cases, this
  program follows the Debian Free Software Guidelines.
  .
  Note that vrms is not limited to Debian systems only (which means that
  it also works with Debian-derived distributions such as Ubuntu). It is
  also not limited to Linux-based systems.
  .
  Future versions of vrms may include an option to also display text
  from the public writings of RMS and others that explain why use of each
  of the installed non-free packages might cause moral issues for some in
  the Free Software community.  This functionality is not yet included.