[sf-lug] sf-lug site & hardware ... pretty old -- (not!) a decade or more? (& Partimus.org?)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 25 16:26:21 PST 2015

Certainly feel free to donate/provide better newer hardware for us!  :-)
Contact myself and/or Jim (at least primarily).  We could always
add/upgrade ... and if/when we were to get rid of this "older" hardware,
may be able to very well repurpose it elsewhere - e.g. Partimus.org -
could make for an excellent* Partimus box for NAT/SNAT/caching proxy/
PXE boot/buid server.
*possibly excepting the fan noise ... but if it was mostly only used
when classes were in session (or was placed in some "server room" or
closet or the like), that fan noise may be at quite acceptable
levels.

Still, this "older" box is nothin' to sneeze at and still quite
capable.

Oldest data I quickly and easily find on/for it, is
system log entry going back to 2008-06-23.
I believe Jim obtained the box from Silicon Mechanics at
LinuxWorld Conference in Expo - I'm presuming in 2008.
Still a respectable machine.  Has "only" 2 GiB RAM - though
that could be upgraded.  Has good IPMI capabilities (though we've
yet to fully set that up and use IPMI on the host),
dual NIC cards, at least 1G, both support Wake-on-LAN,
dual hard drives, SATA, "250 GB" (~233 GiB)
Nice 1U form factor (and not too deep!)
Nothin' to sneeze at.
Bit noisy for running at close quarters - but quieter than most 1U
systems (rotational axis of main fan is vertical, though air flow
is directed front to back - so fan diameter is much lager than 1U)
... roughly on a par with most typical 2U or so hosts, regarding fan
noise.
CPU(s)? ... looks like some kind of quad Xeon 2.13 GHz - CPU much more
than sufficient for our needs.

$ sed -e 's/$/\/2\/1024\/1024/' /sys/block/sd[ab]/size | bc -l
232.88591766357421875000
232.88591766357421875000
$ grep -e '^model name' -e '^processor' /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X3210  @ 2.13GHz
processor       : 1
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X3210  @ 2.13GHz