[sf-lug] sf-lug site & hardware

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 24 06:32:02 PST 2015

Just an FYI update.

So, my (overly optimistic) theoretical timeline - was hoping to have
the sf-lug site relocated onto the higher availability hardware
(notably not on VM on my laptop) by around 2015-11-15 or so.  Have
adjusted the target timeline a bit, after some considerations (and also
being relatively busy with other stuff too).  Anyway, one thing I
didn't fully take into account earlier - fan noise.  That system that
was in the colo - 1U unit, is comparatively noisy (I've gotten a bit
spoiled mostly not listening to fan noise of such volume - even though
it uses a fan and airflow design that mostly avoids tiny 1U high-RPM
fan(s) - it's still noisier than most typical desktop systems - but
less noisy than many typical 1U servers).  So, ... I adjusted my
(theoretical) plans a bit.  With wakeonlan, qemu-kvm live migration,
and wee bit of infrastructure (which I was mostly planning to do
anyway), and small bit of scripting, I could arrange to have the VM
running on the noisier (but higher availability) hardware, mostly only
when it wouldn't be running on my laptop at home.  And with live
migration, the migration would be effectively "invisible" to the guest
VM host itself, its state, connections to it and sessions on it, etc.
Anyway, fair bit closer to having that plan fully implemented.  Current
target timeline for completion, by 2015-11-29, or at least not later
than 2015-12-13.  May be fair bit sooner.  I'll update once it's in
place and fully operational (did get a fair chunk of related
infrastructure completed yesterday and today).

references/excerpts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_migration