[sf-lug] Update on disks and magazine on Sunday at the Cafe Enchante/

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Fri Jul 3 18:47:46 PDT 2015

     Hi LUGers,
         I was able to get Linux Pro magazine Issue #176.
     Articles on security and on using security tools, a Git tutorial
for non-programmers
a discussion of LXD, the Canonical container alternative and even an
article on systemd.

     The distros this month were Debian 8 and Ubuntu 15.04  I have a few
other
versions of 'buntus as iso files and disks.  Debian 8 is an install only
disk and I
looked very carefully at the menus and there is a rescue item but that
is all
aside from menus.  It has installs for MSB and for UEFI
     So looking for the checksum I found it was up to version 8.1 so
downloading
it I will make a copy of the Debian.  The supplied and downloaded disks are
both multi-architecture and multi-desktops but is mostly older versions
so that
it is not cutting edge.
     5 years of support may be its best feature.The number of ways to
install
has been extended.

     Besides that I have a couple of versions of Linux Mint 17.2 for 32
and 64 bit
machines both with either Mate or Cinnamon desktop environments.

     I am trying to download 4MLinux-13.iso as i write having gone to
Distrowatch to
check on the latest.  This is one of the very small but very powerful
sets of tools to
deal with disk problems and other matters.  4M for Maintenance, Mini-Server,
  Mutilmedia and Mystery(games and puzzles)
It has lots of improvements as far as the publisher is concerned.
     Well that is now copied to my hard disk.

     Hope you can make it on July the Fifth.

     Bobbie Sellers