[sf-lug] Sunday July 5 2015 SF-LUG report...

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Jul 5 17:00:48 PDT 2015

Hi LUGers,

     I arrived shortly after 10:30 afaik, the Cafe was very
crowded and I grabbed the table behind the couch at the
front wndow.  Later on we pulled tables out of line as
the diners departed and so we had a peculiar N-S
table configuration which we restored to normal after the
end of the meeting.

     Michael walked in right before 11:00 PM.
He had bad news, something up at the SF-LUG.org site
may be hacked, maybe someone working there.
He is planning on a dual-boot XP or Linux box and
I filled him in on some subtleties of reducing the
Window XP partition and gave him a copy of
GPartEd for the setup on the Linux side.

      Maestro showed up next  He did not say much about
  what he was doing but later on when my computer did
  was connected to the local network but could not go
  to any site he helped me as did Michael to do a network
  reset.
      Thanks to both Maestro and Michael.
      After the network reset it worked as one expects.

     ohn S.  showed up to try out the new distributions
and spent most of his time working with the Kubuntu
15.04 which may not be ready since it uses KDE/Plasma 5
which is not all there yet.

     Ken Schaffer and his wife  showed up.  I missed a lot
of what he was saying but he tried to help me too.  And he
was trying to help Jim as well.

     Herman showed up chatting with Ken and Maestro.

     Jim Stockford arrived  about noon.  He was trying to get
online with his Ubuntu distribution.  Not having too much
luck with that it seemed.

     Jim gave Maestro, Herman and myself rides home.  Maestro
got off at Van Ness and I was home by 1:30 PM

     Thanks for your attention and I hope if I made mistakes people
who were at the meeting will do their best to let us know about
it.

     Next meeing at Cafe Enchante is on Monday. 20 July 2015.
     The regular announcement will be made about July 13.

     Bobbie Sellers