[sf-lug] done: Re: sf-lug.org "32-bit" (i386) to "64-bit" (amd64)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 7 01:05:49 PDT 2015

Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):

> At the SF-LUG meeting today, for some reason, we tried to access the
> sf-lug.{com,org} web site; at least one member reported getting a page
> with an image of a guy in a suit, definitely not the sf-lug penguin on
> the tower.

  $ whois sf-lug.org | more
  [...]
  Creation Date: 2004-07-02T21:17:47Z
  Updated Date: 2015-07-02T15:21:15Z
  Registry Expiry Date: 2016-07-02T21:17:47Z
                        ^^^^^^^^^^

As in, expired.

  Registrant ID:DOMAIN-RESALE
  Registrant Name:Pending Renewal or Deletion

Because:  expired.  'Registrant' is where the owner name is normally
shown.

  Name Server:NS1.PENDINGRENEWALDELETION.COM
  Name Server:NS2.PENDINGRENEWALDELETION.COM

Not the regular nameservers, because:  expired.

whois data for sf-lug.com is pretty much the same:  Expired.

> We're wondering what happened (now); and I'm blaming NetSol, though by
> knee-jerk, not real knowledge.

Jim, if you don't know how and why to check your domain record,
you should start your study of domain administration _there_.

Do you have access to a Linux box?  Or an OS X box?  Then you already
have use of a whois command-line client.  (On poorly equipped distros
like Ubuntu, 'whois' is probably an optional package.)  For MS-Windows
users, win32 versions of open-source whois.exe, host.exe, and dig.exe
can be downloaded easily.

If you don't have whois, get it.  If you have it, you are many years
overdue in learning how to use it.  Fix that.