[sf-lug] systemd criticism

jim jim at well.com
Wed Aug 27 12:07:10 PDT 2014

On my laptop running Ubuntu 12.04.X

$ man systemd
No manual entry for systemd

$ ps aux | grep system
102        987  0.0  0.0  25652  2576 ?        Ss   Aug01   5:02
dbus-daemon --system --fork --activation=upstart
root      2402  0.0  0.1  95548 12348 ?        S    Aug01   0:00
/usr/bin/python /usr/lib/system-service/system-service-d
jim      12614  0.0  0.0  13592   932 pts/4    S+   11:58   0:00 grep
--color=auto system

~$ ps aux | grep init
root         1  0.0  0.0  24568  2524 ?        Ss   Aug01   0:02 /sbin/init

 From Wikipedia
*systemd* is a system management daemon
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_%28computing%29> designed for Linux
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux> and programmed exclusively for the
Linux API
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel_interfaces#Kernel.E2.80.93user_space_API>.
For systems using it, it is the first process
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_%28computing%29> which is executed
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execution_%28computing%29> in user space
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_space> during the Linux startup
process <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_startup_process>. Therefore,
systemd serves as the root of the user space's process tree
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_tree>.

JS: I think of the kernel as process 0 and init as process 1.
I read the Wikipedia excerpt as systemd replacing init, i.e.
systemd has process ID 1 and init need not apply.

JS: I find the LKML link uninformative for my experience
(i.e. I feel the need for answers to questions about the
underlying scheme of things--kernel kicks off init and
things go from there: how does systemd fit in, as a
replacement for init or as PID 2 or what, and then what's
the role of init?)