[sf-lug] requests for email client setup & WiFi Slax

jim jim at systemateka.com
Wed Apr 9 10:09:03 PDT 2014

Thanks, Morgan,
     At this point, it seems to me that we can be flexible as
to what we learn. When our group turns its attention to
installing Mutt is a matter of who's in the room at the
time.

     In the context of installation, after one has finished
baseline installation, one generally adds packages and/or
other software, and this phase has its best practices
recommendations.
     There is a number of highly experienced Linux system
administrators who read this email list, and if we're
lucky, one or more of them will chime in.

     My take:
     Mutt is a command-line program, particularly suitable
to running on a server-class host.
     One can install Mutt with a package manager or by
downloading a *.tar.gz file. Best practices suggest
installing a package, but taking the *.tar.gz approach
presents a useful exercise of working with non-packaged
software (choosing directories for the various files, such
as those in the /usr/local/ tree, running the make program...).

Mutt home page
http://www.mutt.org/

Mutt package install pages
http://www.mutt.org/download.html