[sf-lug] (forw) Re: Fedora 20 out!

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 28 16:39:13 PST 2014

Seems to have been accidently sent offlist.

----- Forwarded message from Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> -----

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 07:28:16 -0800
From: Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Fedora 20 out!
	autolearn=ham version=3.3.1

On 02/28/2014 01:28 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>>   Hi LUGgers,
>>     It comes on this month's issue of Linux Pro s on a double sided
>> DVD with 32 bit on one side and 64 bit on the other.
> In 2014, I find the perseistence of 32-bit, especiailly for a
> pretty hardware-intensive distro like Fedora, just a bit odd.
>
> Used to be, there were some significant problems caused by lack of
> x86_64 versions of popular proprietary Linux apps -- Adobe Flash Player
> and some others -- but that's been made to go away in several ways over
> the last half-decade.  I think the very last IA32 offerings (of any
> consequence) vanished from the retail marketplace around 2007, right?
> That was seven years ago, and any exceptions aren't reasonable
> candidates for Fedora.  Either they have too little RAM, lack DVD
> drives, or both.
>
> One of the long-term lessons I've picked up in computing is that
> old hardware doesn't age very well.  Computers you remember being great
> five-to-ten years ago are now slow, expensive to upgrade, draw far too
> much power from the wall, and are generally disappointing.
>
> I remember around 2003, I was talking to my father-in-law about how
> wonderful the old Macintosh IIci was -- 25MHz Motorola 68030 CPU, RAM up
> to 128MB, 80MB HD, a dream to work on.  He still had one and gave it to
> me.
>
> I installed Debian m68k on it.  People asked me how well Debian ran.  I
> replied 'Well, the computer walked it briskly.'
>
> Anyhow, it's 2014, and IA32 is mostly last millennium.  (Mind you, the
> server running my mail and this mailing list is a 2001-era Pentium III,
> but I don't brag about its leading-edge qualities.)
        A lot of stuff running Atom processors out there as well as lots
of old stuff.  The latest Atoms are 64 bit but the first few generations
were 32 bit.
    Now the 4.3 GiB iso files from the disk are Install and Rescue
basically,
so last night late I downloaded the Live 64 bit version and will have it
at the meeting if anyone needs to see what it looks like.

>>      The issue contains information on a new ultra-secure package
>> system among other matters too numerous to rail on about here.
> What, TUF?
>
> TUF doesn't have the significant advantage that Seifried claims it does
> in the real world.  It's a respectable academic effort to explore better
> key management, which is certainly a worthwhile thing and worth
> watching, but it would be rash to adopt it for production (say, in a
> distro), if only because it's too new.
    Yes it certainly seems to be the case but on the other hand by
publishing
about it, user-developers can begin to experiment with it or begin to adapt
security features from it to older or another package update system.

>>      Although I had a cold I spent a lot of last week putting a
>> PC Linux OS 64 bit 2013.12 on a Dell featuring a large
>> screen and an i5 processor.  It originally came with Windows
>> of course but the user had forgotten the password.   I tried
>> to fix this with various open source tools,
>> trinity-rescue-kit.3.4-build-372.iso,
>> systemrescuecd-sparc-0.4.0.iso, and the Super Grub disk all
>> of which failed to work to deal with the password problems.
> You needed this.  It works great:
> http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

    Thanks will give it a try eventually, I will be spending a bit of
time check-summing the live iso I got last night and the Fedora Install
disks from the magazine disk.   I want to make sure of these before
I try to use them.

    bobbie