[sf-lug] Any SF-LUG bootloader heroes?

Shane Tzen shane at faultymonk.org
Mon May 13 15:23:31 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Michael Scheper
<sf-lug at michaelscheper.com>wrote:

> The whole sad story is here:
>
> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=132928&p=718053

A little long, so I've only skimmed it.  Looking at it, my instinct is that
your boot issue is not grub, but...

* I don't see where your / or root fs partition is (on either disk)
* since the error you have is actually the kernel not able to mount /, try
to see if you can manually mount / under the live cd.
* if you can mount / under the live cd, check /etc/fstab and see what's
defined as / and make sure that exists.
* if it's not already, change device names to blkid (`blkid` under the live
cd).

In general, two things cause the kernel panic unable to mount root fs
errors that you see.  First is that the grub config is wrong.  Second is
that the /etc/fstab on your / is wrong.

I occasionally have to do a grub install trick (usually because I've moved
disks across systems or if I'm imaging/cloning stuff).   Usually what I do
before I do the grub-install are:

* mount all "relevant" fs under /mnt/target, so things like
/mnt/target/boot, /mnt/target/dev, /proc, /mnt/target/sys
* once the aforementioned are mounted, I chroot into /mnt/target (`chroot
/mnt/target /bin/bash`)
* after the chroot, run `grub-install name_of_root_device`
* umount various directories, reboot & cross fingers