[sf-lug] Any SF-LUG bootloader heroes?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 13 16:08:02 PDT 2013

Quoting Shane Tzen (shane at faultymonk.org):

> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Michael Scheper
> <sf-lug at michaelscheper.com>wrote:
>
> > The whole sad story is here:
> >
> > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=132928&p=718053
>

> A little long, so I've only skimmed it.  Looking at it, my instinct is that
> your boot issue is not grub, but...
>
> * I don't see where your / or root fs partition is (on either disk)
> * since the error you have is actually the kernel not able to mount /, try
> to see if you can manually mount / under the live cd.
> * if you can mount / under the live cd, check /etc/fstab and see what's
> defined as / and make sure that exists.
> * if it's not already, change device names to blkid (`blkid` under the live
> cd).
>
> In general, two things cause the kernel panic unable to mount root fs
> errors that you see.  First is that the grub config is wrong.  Second is
> that the /etc/fstab on your / is wrong.

What he said.

One of the other things live CDs are handy for is sanity-checking your
partition table (or EFI GPT thingie).  You know, make sure partition
boundaries are correct and don't overlap, that the 'Active' flag is set
as desired (old-school partition tables), and so on.  And you can
force-install what you want to the MBR program area (old-school
partition tables).

FWIW, I'm still loathing GRUB.  _Way_ too damned baroque.  If I had to
use an EFI-based system, I think I'd probably go with elilo.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/elilo.html