[sf-lug] I need your Linux thoughts!

miro drahos mirni.zbirni at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 21:28:06 PDT 2013

ssh ships with pretty much all UNIXes, AFAIK. VNC is an overkill and may be
complicated to get it to work. Besides, unless you tunnel it via ssh it's
inherently insecure. And for all you know the machine might not even have a
display! Stick with ssh, is my advice.
The hard part might not be the ssh on their end, but rather firewalls
between you and them. So the first thing you should try is to acquire IP
address of the remote machine, and probe the ports with nmap or something
similar to see whether port 22 is open. If it is, then you can try ssh, and
if you are prompted for authorization you know you are good.
If you get 22 to their IP filtered, then there still may be some options,
like forward the ssh via a different port. Then they would create a tunnel
on their side to *you*:

ssh -R 9999:localhost:22 localuser at yourlocalmachine.domain.com

and you would ssh via port 9999 (that would get forwarded to 22 on the
remote server):

ssh -p 9999 user at remote.server.com

Hope this helps,
Miro