[sf-lug] I need your Linux thoughts!

John F. Strazzarino jstrazza at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 20:41:04 PDT 2013

A work project...

A very small number of our customers use Linux and one of them is having an issue.

Here's what needs to be done:

1) We need to remotely log into their computer. Computer is in Salt Lake City.
2) We need to issue a few commands on their system.

Here's the challenge:

1) We have NO idea (NO idea) which version of Linux (or Unix) they are using.
2) We'll have to assume that they person in front of the computer is not at all computer-literate..
3) We don't know what additional software is on the computer

Questions:

1) Which remote control software is dirt-simple to install and run?  (Hamachi, RealVNC, etc) or could we use something like SSH?  REMEMBER, the person behind the computer knows NOTHING about computers.  We need to get access to their computer to do our work.

Assumptions/Guesses:

1) We're guessing that they have either Red Hat Fedora or Ubuntu
2) We're hoping that they have the root password (which I guess we need to install software)
3) There is commercial software on the computer and we MAY be able to quiz the software company about how to access the computer, etc.  However, it sounds like the software company is not being very forthcoming with information.  However, they must have some sort of remote access software, otherwise how could they install updates/patches to their software?

Also:

I've just started to research this, so sorry about not providing more info.

Thanks

John