[sf-lug] PCLinux OS release

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Apr 11 11:40:40 PDT 2013

On 04/11/2013 11:21 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>> Full Monty is 32 bit so far and to start i have to remove a lot of
>> stuff that would make Windows users happy.  The term is Eye Candy, I
>> believe.  It exploits every possible effect possible with KDE 4.x.x.
>> I find it cluttered and too much clutter hurts my eyes.
> Ah, thanks, I hadn't notice that that and a couple of other images are
> i386.  Usually, distros bother to put the CPU arch into the ISO
> filename.  It's a bit vexing that PCLinuxOS cannot bother.
     That is because apparently the 64 bit versions are new to PC Linux OS.
     Most of the earlier releases were i386 and it was the default.

> The KDE 'effects' (eye candy) are just a default, which you can trivially
> tone down using one of the KDE desktop control applets.
     Well these are obtrusive and you have to change the Desktop layout to
Newspaper (arranges widgets in columns) which permits them to show
close devices on the widgets and then they can be individually eliminated.
Well I have to change to Newspaper and get rid of the practiclally useless
desktop icons even in the lesser displays.  Others may have better methods
for getting a cleaner desktop with a couple of taskbars at the top and left
side of the screen.  This placement has to do with controlling the machine
from the laptop when the display is running at 1920 x 1080 on the 32 inch
TV.  Also it is reminiscent of my old Amiga with the standard taskbar menu
bar on the top of the screen and the Amiga Dock(from AOS 3.1 and adopted
by Amiga in 3.1) on the left side of the screen.

     Bobbie