[sf-lug] Upgrading from Ubuntu 10.10 to 12.04

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 20:33:14 PST 2013

Hi Christian,
I'd agree that the upgrade series would be a pain -- much more so if when
you got to 12.04, you found you didn't like it or couldn't use it (maybe
for performance reasons).  What if you decide you need to drop back to
lbuntu, and are faced the app reconfig for probably all new apps anyway.
Maybe you will decide 10.10 wasn't so bad after all, so I'd recommend a
whole system image backup as well as just your data, so you can restore
things to what they are now.  I'd say clean install the Ubuntu 12.04, but
invest minimal time reconfiguring all your apps, just the most important
ones, and see if it works for you (even if you replace Unity).  Drop back
to Lbuntu 12.04 if things seem too slow, and bite the bullet on
configuring/importing data for the new apps (or just install the apps you
feel you need).
  For older equipment, Ubuntu is less and less acceptable, with 12.04
looking like the end of the line for my 6 yr old Compaq laptop.  I decided
I liked Unity, but I have to run Unity 2D for performance reasons, and
coupled with some Nvidia driver issues, things took months to fix things
like the launch bar not appearing for mouse movements, and really slow
window drag.   The live media Ubuntu 12.10s I've looked at made me download
some lbuntu isos to evaluate.
  Next time my laptop motherboard goes, I think I'll get something newer
which gives me more choices.
Ken