[sf-lug] virtualbox - windows xp - problem to connect to Internet (Microsoft Explorer)

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 20:44:09 PDT 2012

Well hmm where to start :-) First I have figured out somehow so I can connect under the VirtualBox Windows XP machine but I do not like that because I do not completely understand what I have done. The thing which worked for me was that I changed in the Windows XP machine in the Network set: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties: obtain an IP address automatically and also obtain an DNS server address automatically. However I have some questions below so I understand things properly and I can set up static IP.

When I click in the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager on the File ==> Preferences ==> Network I get window with: vboxnet0 If I click on it I get:

IPv4 Address: 192.168.56.1   # is this the Default Gateway?

IPv4 Network Mask: 255.255.255.0

DHCP Server: Enabled
Address: 192.168.56.100  # is this the static IP address???

Network Mask: 255.255.255.0
Lower Bound: 192.168.56.101
Upper Bound: 192.168.56.254
??? What is the DNS server address???

When I click in the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager on Machine ==> Settings ==> Network  I get Adapter 1 ==> Attached to NAT

If I click under the Machine, Setting, Network on the Bridged Adapter it doesn't give me any option to change IP address at least not under this menu.

Now I finally managed to find where to change IP and other network staff at Windows XP and when I select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) it gives me this info:

IP Address: 192.168.0.102

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Use the fallowing DNS address:

Preferred DNS server: 203.248.252.2
Alternate DNS server: 164.124.101.2

What shall I change for what?

Sorry for asking so much but there are three different settings and even when experimenting it doesn't work yet.

Many thanks,

Sincerely,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org

"There is no way to peace, peace is the way." Ghandi