[sf-lug] computer work at a public school this Saturday

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 27 14:55:08 PDT 2012

Quoting Andrew Udvare (audvare at gmail.com):

> I am somewhat in support of calling these public schools being that they
> use public funding....

So, if Exxon got part of your tax money, that would make it a publically
run corporation?  Being owned and operated by private interests _isn't_
the part that matters?  ;->

(Just checking:  What colour is the sky in your universe?)

> Charter school are usually open by first come first serve.

As are Exxon stations.  ;->

By the way, in addition to being owned and operated by private
corporations, charter schools have no legal obligation[1] to accept all
students -- unlike private schools.  Many are, in fact, infamous for
cherry-picking which students they're willing to accept.  Actual public
schools lack that option for making themselves artificially look good.

[1] The more likeable charter schools nonetheless do agree to accept
students on a first-come, first-served basis -- though I recall that your
claim of this being 'usually' true is incorrect.