[sf-lug] Remedial civics: Charter schools are private schools (was: computer work at a public school this Saturday)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 27 11:53:51 PDT 2012

Redirecting back to the mailing list.

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):
> >
> > > computer work at a public school this Saturday
> >                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > When are you going to cease attempting to deceive the public about
> > Partimus.org's otherwise commendable initiative to help a private school,
> > Christian?
> >

> Thank you for saying Partimus is commendable.
>
> Rick, I am very grateful for all you do for FOSS, for Bay Area LUGS, and
> for me, but we are going to have to just agree to disagree on this issue.

I'm sorry, it's simply not a matter open to debate.

Knowledge Is Power Program's schools are _private schools_.  That's a
fact.  After you kept denying it, I finally pointed you, some months
ago, to the incorporation records at the Secretary of State's office
and to management's incorporation papers.

Which means it's not a public school.  Just like every other
charter school.  Period.  Done.

You claimed it's a public school.  Wrong.
You claimed it's supervised by San Francisco Unified School District.  Wrong.

It's a _charter_ school.  Charter schools[0] are private schools that
are in COMPETITION WITH the public school system and TAKE TAXPAYER MONEY
that otherwise would have gone to the public schools.  Some people think
this fact is good; other people think it's bad.[1]  That's not the
point, though.  The point is:  It's a fact.  Tell the truth, Christian!

It is past time for you to apologise and stop attempting to deceive the
local Linux community.  I'm sure it was originally a simple error on
your part, but you no longer have that excuse.

You're in a hole.  Stop digging.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_school

[1] Including me, FWIW.  I was lucky enough to attend a private high
school and a private college, but I paid full tuiton for those.  It was
not paid for by tax money withheld from the public school system, as
is the case with charter schools.