[sf-lug] Hello

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 21:45:41 PDT 2012

Cool. I used Ubuntu daily about 5 years ago :-P Actually, I used Kubuntu
and at the time it was KDE 3.5 yet it was extremely slow (and my hardware
was not fully to blame; there was no stable Compiz back then), and I was
skeptical to try another distro but someone recommended I try Gentoo. While
it took probably about 5 tries to get a fully working and optimised
installation, it was all worth it because KDE 3.5 was significantly faster
on Gentoo compared to Kubuntu (and I only had one computer sometimes when
doing reinstalls so I could NOT fail as I had to resume work ASAP).

I actually had to use a dd'd copy of the ISO to USB drive for the latest
Ubuntu to boot up the MacBook Air I got from work into a state from which I
could install Gentoo (another cool feature of Gentoo installation). Nothing
else, even if properly converted, would boot without freezing (that
includes Arch Linux on USB).

Still I run into issues I'm not sure about regarding the Air, like if it
stays on for more than 24 hours it seems to either freeze or the mouse is
moving extremely slowly. Linus according to one interview not too long ago
uses an Air as his laptop (because it is quiet), so I am actually quite
surprised at this issue.