[sf-lug] Playing with the future...

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 19:19:31 PDT 2012

--- On Wed, 6/27/12, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
Be aware that the breadth of printer makes/models you're shown is
constrained by what RPMs of printer drivers you've installed, so you
might want to ensure you've loaded up on printer drivers before visiting
the above-cited CUPS admin pages.
Rick, would you be willing to elaborate a little on how that is done? I've often been frustrated by not being able to figure out how to get drivers and where in the directory tree to put them even if I could get them. Case in point, I have a Xerox_Phaser_3250 and did eventually get it configured on a debian laptop but really had to go through hoops to do it. No where could I find a file that I could then simply put in a specified directory and thus make it all work which is how I thought it should work.
I don't mean to bad mouth CUPS- it certainly seems to serve very well. I guess the problem is that manufacturers sometimes don't want to be generous with what they perceive to be their intellectual property.
cheers, alex