[sf-lug] Playing with the future...

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Jun 27 15:44:01 PDT 2012

On 06/27/2012 01:41 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>> Still having trouble with the printer selection which goes well up
>> until CUPS comes into it and then it hangs.
> Try this:  Open in a Web browser
>
>    http://localhost:631/

     Thanks Rick but I rebooted and was able to get the printer issue
resolved,
     By the way my apologies to the readers as this was intended to go
to another
mailing list and I guess staying up all day working on it is too much stress
for me and my old brain.

> You should be able to printer setup in there.  Basically, CUPS, which is
> now the standard printing software for all Unixes, has a built-in Web
> server for administration and configuration purposes.  It's highly
> reliable, and often can be used to quickly solve printing problems even
> when distros' tools for managing printing strike out.  Works on OS X,
> too.
>
> Be aware that the breadth of printer makes/models you're shown is
> constrained by what RPMs of printer drivers you've installed, so you
> might want to ensure you've loaded up on printer drivers before visiting
> the above-cited CUPS admin pages.

     Well the database I am shown is larger than before.
     Right now the next problem is setting up the scanner built into
this multi-function printer.    Got it working with fewer problems
on another distribution but this cooker is more than a bit
short of amenities for the people like myself who prefer a
GUI.  Had to manually set repositories via easyurpmi and
another spot. Then got VLC, Thunderbird and Kate in with a
few more urpmi commands.

     My Thunderbird and MCC windows are lacking in the
scrollbar department but working.  Actually working better
with the touchpad on the laptop but no visual indication.

	Thanks again
	Bobbie