[sf-lug] Bumps of upgrading (was Re: a summers day with Mandriva 2011 install)

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Mon Jun 25 05:27:21 PDT 2012

On 06/24/2012 10:24 AM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> [..] To get to that point I fiddled for hours, [..]
> I could unlock the Desktop Settings configuration tool and get the
> loose widgets and icons off the desktop.

Congrats on getting over the first set of hurdles!

Hopefully, you can pick off the "not-yet-working" little by little and be
left with something that makes you glad you did it, both for understaning
more about the workings, and for being able to do things.

I bumped a netbook up to ubuntu 12.04 with a fresh install last
weekend, then spent a chunk of yesterday getting it to hibnerate.

Thankfully with the help of:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnableHibernateWithEncryptedSwap

It would have been smooth if I hadn't missed editing one of the cut and
pastes and rendered the machine unable to complete a boot.

Learned a bunch about initramfs and the busybox environment that
the hung boot dropped into.  Nice minimal environment that let me:

mkdir /rdisk
mount /dev/sda1 /rdisk
chroot /rdisk bash

# And then in that shell
mount /proc
# fix things, then
update-initramfs -u -k all
exit

Reboot, and it worked!  Hibernate now functional.
On to the rest of the list.

Rick