[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting Sunday July 1, 2012

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jun 25 10:00:42 PDT 2012

         SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
     at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

         These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high
for the year so far of 6 members.
         If you have a problem come along, maybe we can help
but if not we can usually find someone who can.

     At the June 18th meeting:
   Well I was pleased to see two other members
there at the Cafe Enchante on Monday evening
about 5:55 PM.
     Alex Kleider was there with a distinctive
accessory which seems to have something to
do with networking. The young man Roman
was working on getting his machine working
at some task it seems.
      I fired up the Presario but I was unable to
demonstrate the very impressive Mandriva 2012
Tech Preview due to problems beyond my apprehension.
     Since then I have upgraded to Mandriva 2011.
     My WiFi had been shut down somehow again
but by booting up a version of Knoppix I was able
to connect and to turn the WiFi card back on.
     I hope Alex will explain a bit about the device
he was using.   I was too preoccupied with my problems
to really get the name and function of the device.
     Alex asked me why I was changing distributions
so often.  I pointed out that this was a mis-apprehension
on his part.  I enjoy trying out new distributions and seeing
how completely they work with my machine.  But
Mandriva remains my working distribution.

     Eric Porter showed up eventually and he and I
rode homeward on the 38 Geary. This was after 7:30 PM
and we found that the trip seemed shorter with someone
to whom we could talk.

     A fuller answer for Alex will be in his mail shortly.

     Bobbie Sellers