[sf-lug] regular expression question

Sean sean.channel at pacbell.net
Fri Jun 8 14:04:42 PDT 2012

You do need a function to process positional arguments in bash, as you have
found out like me the hard way.

bash evaluates the meaning of $1 and other variables at the time the alias is
defined, not when called later. Arguments you pass to an alias are simply
appended to the command, so

    w3mtest gasoline

turns into:

    w3m -dump -T text/html 'https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=' gasoline

..which yields only the aforementioned one-line and google search page. Defining
this as a function worked fine;

   w3mtest()
   {
     w3m -dump -T text/html https://encrypted.google.com/search?q="$*"