[sf-lug] regular expression question

Nick James thenickjames at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 13:53:37 PDT 2012

According to this page http://ss64.com/bash/alias.html bash aliases do not
accept arguments.  Here is the direct quote "There is no mechanism for
using arguments in the replacement text, as in csh. If arguments are
needed, a shell function should be used".  So it seems you were on the
right track when you created a function to accomplish this task.   You
stated that alias h='history | grep $1" works as an alias but there is no
guarantee that it will work every time.  That is my understanding. So if
you have any other aliases that take arguments, I would convert them over
to a function. Hope that helped.