[sf-lug] sf-lug Digest, Vol 70, Issue 16

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 30 14:51:38 PST 2011

Quoting Alison Chaiken (alchaiken at gmail.com):

> I'd consider using KDE's SparkleShare, which is a drag-and-drop GUI
> interface for git.    Instructions here:
>
> https://mairin.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/fedora-sparkleshare-howto/

Ooh, nice.  Looks like a Python / kdelibs / qt front-end to git.

> I'd like to use SparkleShare or git to backup files that sonic.net has
> for my web page, but was recently appalled to learn that the reason
> git won't install on sonic's webhosting server is because it's RedHat
> 7.3!

Aaaugh!  Last updated Dec. 31, 2003.  Wow, whoever's updating that
host must be a masochist.  At least, one _hopes_ they're updating it.

Meanwhile, for my sins, I'm working with a bunch of technophobes to
collaborately edit and proofread material that (in the final stages)
gets loaded into Adobe InDesign for DTPing.  The guy running the project
is doing it by file-attaching ASCIl or RTF files back and forth.

He asked me what 'cloud provider' I would use instead.  I said,
personally: none of the above.  That _if_ I were working with people
willing to use standard Unix tools, I would just give them all shell
accounts on my Linux server, create a VCS repo (e.g., git) for the
project, and have them SSH their changes into and out of the repo.
Thus: Solution in ten minutes, I said.

However, I immediately added that I was aware that wasn't realistic,
because I'd get no farther with most of the volunteers than their saying
'SS-what?'

I've started looking around to see if someone's done a novice-friendly
graphical Web front-end for remote interaction over HTTPS with a VCS
repo -- thus end-running around novice trauma over the need to deal with
standard Unix tools, and instead use only bog-standard Web browser
point-and-drool.  Haven't found one yet.  Leads welcomed.