[sf-lug] sf-lug Digest, Vol 70, Issue 16

Alison Chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 13:02:03 PST 2011

Michael Shiloh <michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com>asks:
> I now have two laptops which I'll use somewhat interchangeably. What's a
> good way to sync work between them?
> Dropbox might be a good way to sync these.

I was using Dropbox last spring with my regular user account when it
popped up and asked me for the root password on my system!    I traced
the request to a binary executable called /tmp/kde.f748e3 or somesuch,
even though I was running the GNOME desktop.    Once was enough for
me: I stopped what I was doing and nuked Dropbox on all my systems.
I used Dropbox for nothing weird or suspicious: I don't play PC games
or download music using torrent or even watch many flash videos.

I'd consider using KDE's SparkleShare, which is a drag-and-drop GUI
interface for git.    Instructions here:

https://mairin.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/fedora-sparkleshare-howto/

If you're not using RPMs, you will have to source SparkleShare from
elsewhere, but I believe that Ubuntu is also packaging it.

I have been using plain old git to version-control and sync my files.
  I agree with previous posters that rsync may be your simplest
option, too.   I'm sure we can help you, Michael, if you have trouble
getting rsync working.

I'd like to use SparkleShare or git to backup files that sonic.net has
for my web page, but was recently appalled to learn that the reason
git won't install on sonic's webhosting server is because it's RedHat
7.3!    Yes, not Fedora 7, but RedHat 7.     This is intolerable.
While I love sonic's ISP and phone service, can someone recommend
another webhost where I can ssh and scp in and run git?    My needs
are pretty minimal since my web page is small and static, so AWS and
its ilk would be overkill.

Best wishes,
Alison

--