[sf-lug] Remote access to Microsoft Windows server

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:31:43 PDT 2011

Thanks for starting this thread Christian!  I started playing around with my
virtual XP and found it does the remote desktop very nicely, (with no
license file nonsense).  Sounds like your rdesktop invocation could use the
-D to get rid of the window manager title to allow the Start button to be
shown.  With autohide or the hide buttons activated for your Gnome bottom
panel, you should have a more usable system.  Ctrl-esc also brings up the
start button if it's hidden.
  I saw many of the same issues you did, the applications/internet/terminal
server client ran fine with the RDPv5, but without the capability of turning
on the backgrounds (-xl when running rdesktop), i didn't like it.  The RDP
had the background, but would try to restart 30sec after shutdown.  Anther
rdesktop argument you might try out is the -z to compress the RDP stream.
  I was surprised to see all the things I used to use Citrix for in the
past.
  I also finally bit the bullet and removed my laptop Windows hard disk and
replace it with my external Ubuntu disk, so it was good to still have the
full screen Windows available (which I never got around to in the vmware
player window).
Ken