[sf-lug] cookies in Ubuntu

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 6 18:48:04 PDT 2011

Quoting Brian Morris (cymraegish at gmail.com):

> Is there or could there be a way to make this all simple for the
> end-user...

Sure.  Step 1:  Put DoubleClick and its competitors out of business,
since they're the people cleverly abusing Internet standards to
data-mine everyone.

Since DoubleClick was bought for 3.1 billion dollars by Google a few
years ago, you'll probably need to put Google out of business to make
that happen.

Step 2:  Find an alternative source of financial support for Mozilla
Foundation.  Mozilla Foundation gets something like 2/3 of its money
from Google, Inc., which has a vested interest in spying on users...
I mean context-sensitive searching.</marketingspeak>

Once Mozilla Foundation is independently funded and no longer subject to
moderately severe conflict of interest[1], maybe they will integrate
NoScript, AdBlock Plus, CustomizeGoogle, and Beef Taco into Firefox, and
further integration and polishing work done that might succeed in making
it all 'simple for the end-user'.

Until that happens, you _can_, if you wish, follow the recommendations
in my lecture and article (or other similar recommendations from others
who understand the problem and actually give a damn about not selling
you to the highest bidder) to install/configure those four extensions.
Yes, you _will_ have a learning period when starting to use NoScript
while you find out which sites malfunction until you enable particular
JavaScript snippets on each and say 'Allow [foo] .  You can either go
through that, or you can give up and be spied on, data-mined, subjected
to Trojan-horse attacks, loaded with advertising, hit up with browser
bloat, and caused to have your browser blow up from byzantine JavaScript
at unplanned intervals.

That is Internet reality, as best I understand it.  Sorry, I can't make
Internet reality simpler.  I don't think anyone else can, either.

And, by the way, I _am_ a user.  You asked to hear from users?  You just
did.

[1] But nowhere near the _extreme_ conflict of interest entailed in the
proprietary Chrome browser, or its open-source foundation, Chromium --
considering that those are produced by Google, Inc. directly.