[sf-lug] Mobile Linux, glibc, Java

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Feb 8 21:28:34 PST 2011

Quoting Steve Castellotti (steve at theProfessionalAmateur.com):

> It is 3G, sometimes reading "3.5G" though I am unclear on the
> distinction.

'3G' in practice approximates 'uses spread-spectrum better than EDGE
does', resulting in better effective bandwidth under more conditions.
(I simplify, and, if we're lucky, I haven't just invited someone to
barge into the conversation to quibble using a six-month supply of
acronyms.)

'3.5G', '3.9G', and '4G' are basically marketing fluff without
consensual meaning, though some will argue, most of those being people
with (figurative or literal) investment in one or another of various
vendor schemes to claim 1 Gbit/s in stationary operation and 100 Mbit/s
for mobile.