[sf-lug] Mobile Linux, glibc, Java

Steve Castellotti steve at theProfessionalAmateur.com
Tue Feb 8 21:06:56 PST 2011

    I've had a Nokia N900 since it was released last November.

    It will operate on any GSM network, such as AT&T or T-Mobile.
Verizon and Sprint are CDMA, so you can't use it with either of those.

    It is 3G, sometimes reading "3.5G" though I am unclear on the
distinction.

    I have a month-to-month plan (no contract) with T-Mobile which has
somewhere between 500 and 1000 voice minutes (not sure as I've never
exhausted them all for any given month), plus unlimited internet and txt
messaging. It costs me around $60/mo.

    When I travel overseas I swap out the SIM card for a local carrier
(often prepaid) and I'm good to go.

    For the moment it is exactly the perfect phone for what I need,
which includes some occasional mobile development work. I'm a
decade-long Python coder and lately a Qt fan (since the LGPL license
change), which together are this phone's bread-and-butter. I am hoping
for a hardware refresh when Meego is a bit further along, but in the
mean time I don't miss iOS and am holding out for the next crop of
tablets to take another look at Android.

Cheers

Steve