[sf-lug] Mobile Linux, glibc, Java

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:51:51 PST 2011

My N900 has wifi and I assume it could have connectivity via the
cellphone network over GPRS or something faster; I haven't paid for a
data plan so I don't know how this works.

Wifi works just like you'd expect. You can manually use ifconfig and
iwconfig, or there are helpers that store wireless network details and
automatically log in with the appropriate password (like the Gnome
network-manager or whatever it's called). I recently found a helper that
can selectively automatically open a web browser for certain wireless
networks, so that you can conveniently log in to networks that require
authorization via a web page.

I'll probably break down and add the data plan to my cellphone account
one of these days.

I've heard conflicting rumors about the future of devices that support
Maemo/Meego. Perhaps Alison can tell us something without breaking any NDAs?

Alison, I want to help with the conference. Where do I sign up?

Michael